KarmArt

KarmArt
« on: Dec 03, 2013, 01:29 AM »
I had a few Genie related things pile up in my excitement over joining so I thought I'd start an art thread.
A little chibi Genie

Genie and her boyfriend/part time sidekick Dil "Pickles" Perkins.

He's a florist and they live together in the top floor of his shop. Since he has powers too, she talks him into patrolling with her sometimes if she needs an extra pair of eyes. He has a portal in his stomach that connects to a bunch of different worlds but he can also store stuff in the void, which makes him useful for picking up criminals since he can just suck them in like a black hole then spit them back out at the police station. But he's not very brave or athletic, so he's only into any sidekicking as a favor to Genie.

She made him his costume too.

And since it looks like you can post non-Void related things, I'll put a couple of pictures I'm proud of too.

A holiday pic of my character Mitch, where I was experimenting a bit with crosshatched color shading.

A pic I like of my character Smilin' Milo in a postapocalype punk type get-up.

Nightvale fan art. Not crazy about how Dana came out but I'm happy with the sky and moon.

Roller-derby vampire boy, Ophiuchus.

I'm weirdly proud of those burgers.

Older but still one of my favorite pieces of my sorcerer guy, Lord Valmir.

Aaand lastly, I'm doing the character design challenge late since I heard about it too late and this is "Psycho" Billy Black, my crazy zombie biker guy for the first day and just a design I'm super happy with.

Sorry for the huge art dump! I just wanted to get some of my favorites up there so I can make sure all future posts are completely of recent art. c:

Re: KarmArt
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:45 AM »

It's pictures like this that make me wonder if some day somebody is going to mistake one of Genie's pics for Nicki Minaj fan art.

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:17 PM »
Your stuff is a lot of fun, I'm enjoying all the variety in character designs. The cel shading seems to work a lot better on your art than the soft shading, the soft shading doesn't really do your lines justice.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2013, 06:27 PM »
Your stuff is a lot of fun, I'm enjoying all the variety in character designs. The cel shading seems to work a lot better on your art than the soft shading, the soft shading doesn't really do your lines justice.
I'm glad you like my designs! And I think you're right but I'm hoping I'll get better about making soft shading work too.
----

I have been super artblocked lately but I have a couple of things to post at least of another character of mine.
He's basically a really masochistic villain who likes to pick fights just to lose. But he still fights back and sometimes tries a little too hard to provoke people into attacking him so he's still a dangerous guy. During the day though, he seems like the most boring guy in the world, repressed, with a boring job, and seemingly no real hobbies.

Not too terribly happy with the comic page but I liked how the texture looks since it's my first time putting a texture on a piece hehe.

And lastly Smilin' Milo as a maid, just because I particularly like how this doodle came out.

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:32 PM »
You really have a lot of differences in body types in your characters, and I dig that! That, combined with how expressive they are, is really working out well.

Opinions on storylines?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2014, 06:33 PM »

Thank you! I try to keep them pretty diverse c:
----------

I'm planning on doing January Comics Montch's Challenge an I'm having a lot of trouble choosing which of my stories to go with! So I thought I'd list them here and pictures of the main characters of each and see if anybody had an opinion on which sounds the most interesting for a 15 page comic. :>

Bruno/ The case of the candy cannibals. Bruno is sent to a small village to find out what is causing the candy people to eat each other/ Mystery/mild horror
Louie, the disappearing man/ A look at Louie’s work and the sort of things and creatures he deals with. Focuses on one case where a few monsters have escaped within the office and he is trying to avoid them and get back to his own office to finish his work/ Fantasy/Comedy
Ice Cream Nagas/ The two nagas are trying to figure out the best way to go about finding humans to eat/ Dark Comedy
Buddy and Guy/ Investigating a crashsite just outside of town, the twins find a stranded alien/  Sci-Fi/Comedy
Bonita and Arlo/ A cupid and incubus battle in a nightclub to heal and break as many hearts as possible/ Fantasy
Smilin' Milo/ Inspired by the song The Possum Kingdom. Milo takes his current girlfriend out on a romantic retreat to a lake where there is an abandoned boathouse they can stay in/ Horror
PostApocalypse AU Milo/ Milo’s gang spots an unexploded warhead in the middle of town/ Action
Roderick the Harpy- Valmir, the lord Roderick is advisor to, asks about Timofei’s mother and Roderick explains the way harpy parenting and culture works, reminiscing about his younger years and how he got his son/ Fantasy[/li][/list]

The main characters, show in order of the stories listed above (some of this art is old).

And since I have them lying around, some location drawings. The Ice Cream Serpents' ice cream truck, Buddy and Guy's workplace, and Lord Valmir's manor.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2014, 06:43 PM »
I'm partial to the first one since mystery/horror isn't terribly common in comics.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2014, 08:38 PM »
Tofu beat me to this, but I also really admire the fact you draw different body types and characteristics. (I really adore the costume designs especially. Hats off to you!)

I think all the story choices have a lot of potential, but here's my two cents on a few;

I like the first one just for the idea of candy people killing each other. I dunno I just find that sort of thing amusing and I'd totally read that. Though I think like something like this might work better as a longer story since mystery/horrors can get pretty involved.

I like the second one too, just because I've always been a fan of comedy with a pinch of stealth elements.

Out of all of them I think I favor the Bonita and Arlo concept the most. The plot is broad enough that it could work itself into a nice short comic, and stand offs are always fun to read.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2014, 01:27 AM »
These answers combined with the ones on tumblr make Bruno, Milo, and Roderick's stories the most popular.
Bruno's story would mean I get to draw obnoxiously colorful sugar landscapes and weird candy people gore, but I think it is a story that would need more than one installment if each was only 15 pages since, while that's a lot of room to work with, it's still not good for a mystery one like you said. So maybe I'll save this one for another time or change the story a bit to make it more fast paced, like one of Junji Ito's short one shots.
As for Milo and Roderick, both have their pros and cons.
Milo's ministory here was inspired by a song so I already have a lot of visualization done for scenes and such. But it might be hard to keep up the tension for that many pages depending on how I arranged the story.
Valmir is actually supposed to be the star of the story for most things involving him since I wanted to make his a series, so his might have some unanswered questions (his is a pretty big, developed fantasty world), but Roderick's culture could be interesting to some people and I'd get to draw lots of fanciful bird people and such and I might eventually get to doing Valmir's whole series so it would be a nice little sidestory to slide in with the rest if I get around to doing that.

So I'm at least down to three lD I'll choose soon. Thanks for your feedback guys!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:46 AM »

I wound up choosing Bruno's story so his design got a little tune up. Plus I drew a couple of candy people who will be showing up in the story. I plan to put the comic up on void at the end of the month when it's done so I hope people will like it, colorful sugary gore and all.

Sculptris Attempts
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:55 PM »
I got a freeware 3D sculpting program today and played with it a bit.

My werewolf character Rudy, sans hair.

Funny, funny looking wolf Rudy hehe.

Aaand Genie! Who doesn't get painted because the coloring section started to glitch on her.

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:28 AM »
Another drawing dump~

A Miltank!

A secret Santa of a friend of mine's character, both former and current self.

3 Busts I drew for a quick giveaway on Weasyl.

My Weasyl banner

Aaand a cute BBW Genie~

« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:30 PM »

My webcomic's gonna be pushed back a bit so I can get Genie's entry for the Anthology done but I did a big lineup of the characters! They're all covered right now except Valmir but I'll uncover them as they get introduced in the story. But most of the first half gets introduced in the prologue so I'll show them here and a couple of WIPs.

« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:50 PM »
It looks exciting and awesome! Looking forward to it!
\'Ello...

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 04:59 PM »
I've wound up putting off the comic project for a while until I can manage to write out a better plot line. I never expected the writing part of all things to be hard. lD But it's been forever since I posted here so I thought I would post some of my art I've done since last time I posted.

Some realism-ish studies from my sketchbooks, featuring my pets.

Looots of fantroll things (Hm, I wonder what I've been rping for the past few months fft)

Some simple transparent character busts for blog graphics.

And my most recent full picture with Nice Nick and Smilin' Milo hehe. I'm particularly pleased with this one. I think it's kind of eye catching, but maybe it's just me.

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 01:03 AM »
Neat stuff!
I think something made obvious by the 10th image in your last post is that you probably need to work on your anatomy concerning legs. Considering so many of your works feature characters drawn from the waist-up, I guess this isn't surprising? It's good to see some life drawing in there, so drawing full body people from reference, and then from memory, should help you a lot in that area.
But otherwise, I'm loving bright colours and interesting characters. I do think your last image is pretty rad. Although the background looks kind of plain, and I don't think it reflects the energy of the characters! (But maybe that's just me~)

« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2015, 10:47 PM »
Arting has been slow lately but I'm picking back up again.

Learning to draw cats with the shrimp method.

Mr. Taro, a demon oc of mine with Hobbes, a supernatural investigator who belongs to a friend of mine.

God of Sleep for a roleplay group.

Clown hero character I made today.

Aaaand a 'draw this again' of a drawing from 2011.

« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2015, 04:50 AM »
The work in your last couple posts has been your best yet, I think. I love the unicorn man from the last post--I imagine that's what Ray and Wizzie's descendant will look like :))
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2015, 06:34 AM by King-Queen Kent of Voidlandia »

« Reply #18 on: Aug 06, 2015, 06:42 PM »
A lot of my old images on here on broken for some reason and I'm not sure why. They were on my tumblr, and I haven't deleted them or anything. Huh. Anyway, it's been a very long time since I posted on here, and I probably should start doing it in reasonable intervals instead of huge art dumps but here we go.
Art from I'm not sure when:

My first time working with Manga Studio and the first attempt at starting up my Demoniac comic. That's as far as I got with that difficult to render style since it too ages to do a single page.

Art from 6 months ago

Did some coloring experiments with these.

Art from 5-4 months ago

Messing with styles, Vasquez on top, Sugar on the bottom.

More style experiments, these ones mine.

Misc. stuff.

3-2 months

Mostly RP stuff.

Demoniac Take 2, stopped because I failed to plan ahead and didn't have a script beyond the prologue.

Style experiments for the new story I wanna do instead.

This past month, since my tablet broke is all traditional stuff.

(snippet of my current project there.)

A drafting table painted to sell.

A character I'd like to add on here after meeting some goals of mine. (He's not even going in the Incubator until I at least win one battle.)

Aaand these are from today, because I'm sick and stuck on the couch so I've just been doodlin' up a storm.

« Reply #19 on: Aug 22, 2015, 03:43 PM »

New Ref Sheet for Conway since the other one is sooo outdated and my replacement tablet arrived~

« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2015, 03:46 PM »
oooh loving the design sheet! I also missed your last post, and I gotta say I love your traditional markers you got going for those girls

« Reply #21 on: Aug 30, 2015, 02:58 PM »
Haha, you had me at clown hero character. XD You certainly have been uber busy churning out that art! I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I simply adore that you push body types and shapes in your work. I'm always interested in seeing anything other than the cookie cutter superhero muscles and buffness.

I was hoping to see some WIPs of your latest battle in here and you did not disappoint. I actually think your tablet breaking is a great thing. got some lovely sketches going on here and even better comic! I can't wait to gush ad nauseum about it.

Also, I'm all about that Conway/Clydesdale art. When are we gonna see those two go toe to toe?

« Reply #22 on: Oct 23, 2015, 06:33 PM »
Have been drawing a lot, but not things that would be too relevant here so I'll just do a couple examples.
Also Void has been running suuuuper slow for me so I haven't been keeping up too much on here since it takes several minutes to load a page. I can't even preview this post lD
 Some sketches:

A comic for a little contest on DA

Coloring experimentation (all of the art with this character was for that contest pff)

Aaand my hero and villain characters, Ragdoll and Mason aka Mr Luxuria. Mason's actually been posted here before if anyone remembers him. Considering using him as my 3rd character instead of Drago. He's perfect murderer fodder, and perfect for making murderers uncomfortable.

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2016, 01:06 PM by KarmaCharma »

« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2016, 12:46 PM »
My art's not looking awesome but at least I'm feeling inspired to make it again!

and Blurry animated version

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2016, 01:05 PM by KarmaCharma »

« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2016, 11:12 PM »
I still can't believe this is still only one page. SO CHOCK FULLA ART. <33
 I love it. Seriously great character designs. You make variety look so effortless!

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 14, 2024, 09:08 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

110 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 121.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us