When you're drawing another person's character, it's natural for you to not get them precisely fit to the creator's original vision. A bit too high of a nose, an inch too little hair, a smidgen too many arms, you just can't expect perfection. But what if that drawing you just did... became the new canon? That's how they were drawn forever... until the next person drew them? And then we just did this perpetually? Well, you'll see the results of that hypothetical right here in this very thread!
This is a game! Here are the instructions!
- Draw a simple illustration of a completely new and original character. We want something no one's seen before, you can get attached to the design later. At the bare minimum, this should be colored and a full body from head to toe, although you really don't need to spend too much time on it.
- Send the illustration to the next person in line.
- 48 hours after we start, the next round begins. We might start earlier if everyone notifies me that we've all finished for that round, so watch out for that. If you don't have a design in your inbox by now, make that visible so we can be disappointed in whomever for flaking, and notify the person two ranks behind you to send you the image they made two rounds ago (for this one round only), so that the chain can continue with just one less member. Hopefully this doesn't happen on round 2, or else I dunno what should happen!
- Here's the tricky thing! Look at the image you got for 1 minute only. No longer than that! Time it yourself and study it real hard. Obviously, I have no way of ensuring that you don't look again, but come on, you'd ruin the fun!
- Now redraw that character design however you please, like you did for your original design, spending as long as you want (within the deadline of course).
- Send that to the next person in queue, and the process starts all over!
- Once you have drawn your character for the final round (there will be as many rounds as there are participants), instead of sending it back to the start of the chain, send that and every other image you've drawn in the game to me. Once I receive everything, I'll begin posting the results!
This sounds fun, you are thinking. If you're not thinking that, too bad, you're thinking it now.
And here are the signups!
These will be shuffled before the game starts, and the current plan is to keep it the same all game, even if that means you'll always get the same person's drawings.
This can be played with basically any number of people, but I'll set a maximum of 8 just to not make things too complicated.
The game will begin May 11th, Friday. Maybe sooner if we fill up real quick-like.
We are now in round 6! Deadline is May 23rd, Wednesday, 11:59PM CST.